Why we love to run

by in , , , 0

As a lead-in to its its new running blog, the Guardian has posted a fascinating article about the reasons that separate those who run for fun and those of us who just can't understand it.

Is there something in this that us scoffers can take to heart, perhaps adapt and adopt in our own lives? To me, the most interesting suggestion was that running is something we should do for distance, rather than speed. The hunting style of primitive humans - chase down the prey until it collapses of exhaustion - lends itself to longer jogs rather than shorter sprints in the modern world.
It's tough, it hurts – and yet more than two million of us in the UK run at least once a week. Why? Adharanand Finn explains the enormous pleasure it brings – and how we're actually hardwired to do it.
"Daddy, where are you going?" my son asked me recently as I was lacing up my running shoes on a cold, wet Sunday morning. "Running," I said. "Why?" he asked.
Read more in the original article.

Leave a Reply